Better help people understand how they feel.
Types of Psychotherapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Behavioral Therapies
Cognitive behavioral therapy
Indication – Mild-moderate depressive illness, eating disorder, anxiety disorder, schizophrenia, and psychotic disorder.
CBT- focus on the ‘here and now’ which relief symptoms and developing new skills.
Below are links of a video that better explains CBT
Functions on the idea that all behaviors are learned and that unhealthy behaviors can be changed.
Types of Behavioral Therapies
- Relaxation training- indicated for stress related and anxiety disorder. This technique causes muscle relaxation during stress and anxiety.
- Systemic desensitization- Used for phobic anxiety disorder. Client is gradually exposed to anxiety producing situation.
- Exposure and response prevention- Use for clients with OCD and phobias. Patients are repeatedly exposed to the situation that cause them anxiety.
The delivery of information to people in order to help them understand and cope with their mental illness. Client’s should be informed:
- Name of the illness
- Cause of the illness
- What the help services can do to help them
- What they can do to help themselves.
Below is a link explaining what is psychoeducation.
Is a form of relieving distress and active dialogue between the counsellor and the client. This encourage active listening and advice on problem solving.
Indication: Adjustment disorder, mild depressive illness, childhood sexual abuse ( rape, pregnancy loss, still birth)
Counselling helps individual form their own solution to their problem.
Below is a link that better help explain more about counseling.
Class of Medications
- Antidepressants – used to treat depression, panic disorder, PTSD, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder and eating disorders.
- Antipsychotic medications – used to treat psychotic symptoms (delusions and hallucinations), schizophrenia, bipolar disorder.
- Sedative and anxiolytics – used to treat anxiety and insomnia.
- Benzodiazepine– used to induce and maintain sleep.
- Mood stabilizers – used to treat bipolar disorder.
Below has links to better explained the class of drugs.